inserting into a long datatype column

From: <russellhitchcock_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2000/07/17

How do I insert something greater than 4K into a LONG column?

Basically, I just
want to verify that it will hold 2GB.
Whenever, I do this I get the error
ORA-01704: string literal too long.
This error message indicates thats a
string can not exceed 4K bytes. So
I thought perhaps I needed to use a bind variable. But LONG can not be used for
a bind variable.

So how is this done... ie how do I insert something greater than 4K into a LONG
column.

I have set the command option LONG to 2000000000.

I can't use CLOB's because I am using the UTF-8 (variable width) character set.

Thanks,
Russ

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jul 17 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT