Re: Strange Behaviour on Index Space Usage, help please

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powellNOmaSPAM_at_eds.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/07/14

 http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

>Connor McDonald wrote in message <396DC256.3ECB_at_yahoo.com>...
>>Just to add some more...
>>
>>In V7, the space in an totally free block was only available
 after a
>>commit, thus
>>
>>delete from blah
>>insert into blah select ...
>>
>>would not reuse the space freed by the delete, whereas
>>
>>delete from blah
>>commit
>>insert into blah select ...
>>
>>would be able to...
>>
>>I haven't confirmed for V8 but I would suspect the same.

Jonathan, I believe you, but I am interested in knowing more about this so if you can spare the time please explain how a block get into this state and how you can detect that this has happened?

If this information is on your web site please just post the url.

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com. Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com Received on Fri Jul 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT