Perf. problems with multiple users

From: Jonas Malmsten <jonas_at_malmsten.net>
Date: 2000/07/13

We have an Oracle 8.0.5 server running on an Enterprise 450 server with 2 CPUs and 2 Gig RAM.

As long as no-one performs any heavy queries we have no performance problems. Bu when I log into SQL plus to retrieve some statistics manually - ie run some heavy queries with several joins etc the performance drops to below acceptable level. I can live with that my heavy query takes a while to execute but I don't understand why that should have such a huge impact on the other users. My query does not lock any tables (select statements only).

Is there a way to limit the resources eaten by my query so that other people can work as usual.

An optimal solution would be that if you had 10 sessions connected each session should be able to use at least 10% of the server performance if needed. If only one of those ten sessions is active then offcource this one session should get all the performance but if all 10 session where active I want the power to be equally distributed through the sessions.

Thanks for any help

//Jonas

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jul 13 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT