Re: Strange Behaviour on Index Space Usage, help please

From: Michel Cadot <micadot_at_netcourrier.com>
Date: 2000/07/13

Answer embedded.

--
Have a nice day
Michel

Reza <reza_at_digital-dispatch.co.uk> a écrit dans le message :
963484572.10474.0.nnrp-04.d4f07aaa_at_news.demon.co.uk...

> As far as I know at least in Oracle 7.3 if you delete a record, the
> corresponding index gets deleted but the space of this index won't be used
> again until you rebuild the index, Am I correct?
Deleted index entries are reused if and only if you insert the same key as the previous deleted one.
> I have a 7.3 database which creates 30MB of index on a certain table's
> entries. When I delete nearly same number of old records from the table,
> then index space usage does not grow any more and it looks that the index
> space in the tablespace is reused. Is this true?
Object space is not reused for other objects unless you deallocate this space (statement alter table/index ... deallocate unused) or delete the object.
> Does this have anything to do with high water mark on the tablespace used
> space, since no matter how more record I delete from the table, no more free
> space is released to its index's tablespace.
AFAIK there is no tablespace HWM. There is a table HWM which gives the limit between the blocks used at least once and the blocks of the table never used. It gives the number of blocks you can deallocate (all of them above the HWM).