Strange Behaviour on Index Space Usage, help please

From: Reza <reza_at_digital-dispatch.co.uk>
Date: 2000/07/13

As far as I know at least in Oracle 7.3 if you delete a record, the corresponding index gets deleted but the space of this index won't be used again until you rebuild the index, Am I correct? I have a 7.3 database which creates 30MB of index on a certain table's entries. When I delete nearly same number of old records from the table, then index space usage does not grow any more and it looks that the index space in the tablespace is reused. Is this true? Does this have anything to do with high water mark on the tablespace used space, since no matter how more record I delete from the table, no more free space is released to its index's tablespace. Can anyone please shed any light on this matter please. Received on Thu Jul 13 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT