Re: help with 8i installation

From: <tyler_sperry_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/13

Sounds like you are having the same problems I am having. I am trying to install Oracle 8.1.6 on my RedHat Linux machine. I type in the Oracle81R2 directory:\

        ./runInstaller
and I get a error message:

        bash: ./runInstaller: No such file or directory I read on a RedHat install of Oracle that this runInstaller does not work on RedHat Linux (Bug:1117931 - unsure if this is a Oracle bug - any ideas where to read up on it in more detail). At any rate, it said to run the installer from the following directory:

	$ cd install/linux
	$ ./runInstaller

but when I do this, I it tells me
	The Java RunTime Environment was not found at
/bin/jre. Hence the Oracle installler cannot be run. Please visit http://www.javasoft.com and install JRE version 1.1.8 or higher and try again. : No such file or directory

I have installed the jre and it is in my path. I put it at /usr/local/jre118 and then made a symbolic link to it at /usr/local/jre. It is also in my path:

PATH=/usr/local/jre/bin:/bin/jre etc...

. I also made a symbolic link to /bin/jre to point to /usr/local/jre118.

Any help is appreciated.

Tyler

In article <8kjkh8$j87$1_at_vkhdsu24.hda.hydro.com>,   "Marc" <MB.no_at_mail.reply> wrote:
> If you 'untar'-ed (is that a good word ?) the
 file in your home directory,
> you should try
>
> cd ~/Oracle8iR2
>
> instead of
>
> cd /Oracle8iR2
>
> Marc
>
> dknite wrote in message ...
> >thanks Markus,
> >
> >I tried that. I got to the point where I
 copied the Oracle8161_tar.gz file
> >to my /home directory. I then did a tar -zxvf
 Oracle8161_tar.gz to unzip
> >the file which it did. It created a directory
 called Oracle8iR2 with
> >permissions drwxr-xr-x. I can't get into the
 directory though to run the
> >installer. I tried cd /Oracle8iR2 and it tells
 me there is no such file or
> >directory.
> >
> >Your help is much appreciated
> >David

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jul 13 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT