Re: Indirection in PL/SQL???

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/07/12

"please help" <slow_at_cable.com> wrote in message news:ra4b5.3170$qx4.4380_at_newsfeed.slurp.net...
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to use indirection in PL/SQL? By
> indirection, I'm referring to assigning a variable's name to another
> variable and then using the assignment variable to get to the assigned
> variable's value.
>
> For example:
> A = 5
> B = A
> is it possible to get from B to the 5?
>
> If this can be done, I'm not sure what I want to attempt to do is
 possible.
> I'm writing a procedure that needs to be able to accept a variable number
 of
> variable names for parameters. To do this, I'd like to somehow pass the
> variable names into the procedure as one variable with the names space
> delimited.
>
> The call would look something like this:
> convert("VAR1 VAR2 VAR3 VAR4");
>
> The procedure would look like this:
> Procedure convert(varnames IN LONG);
>
> Once inside of the procedure, I would parse out the variable names one at
> time and use them.
>
> I kind of doubt this is possible without the passed in variables being
> global, which I don't want to do. However, I'd like to hear anyones ideas
> on how to do something similar to this.
>
> Thanks,
> Ron Watson
> rwatson_at_kemron-lab<takemeout>.com

It doesn't exist and you don't need it, because as long as you provide defaults for your paramaters you can leave them out Example
create or replace procedure foo(a in number, b in number, c in number default 0, d in varchar2 default 'scott')

can be called as

foo(a,b, c,d)
foo(a,b,c)
foo(a,b)

but *not* foo(a), as there is no default

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Jul 12 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT