Using Index for case insensitive search

From: <chrisabruce_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/07/10

I hope this is the correct forum for this question,

I am using oracle 8i and I need to do some searching by city or companyname. Currently, the text entered into these fields vary in case. I would like the results to be displayed in a case insensitive manner, however there are thousands of records and an index is required for performance issues. Both of these fields have indexes. Is there a way to create a case insensitive index? I am trying to avoid using triggers to create uppercase fields just so that I can use a case insensitive index. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Bruce

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jul 10 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT