Re: ORA-12545 Error

From: Bastiaan Schaap <bschaap_at_desyde.nl>
Date: 2000/07/10

Hi Sean,

Do you have more than one oracle product installed on the same machine? If this is the case then you probably have multiple tnsnames.ora files. Check the oracle home to see if you have a directory called network, and/or a directory called net80. You probably have both. Both these directories contain a submenu called admin, which contain a tnsnames.ora file. If so, then keep these two in sync... That should work. If you want to keep only one copy you could make a new entry in the windows registry under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/oracle, called TNS_ADMIN. In there you put the path to one of the tnsnames.ora files. If you work on a unix/linux machine create an environmont variable called TNS_ADMIN, which contains the path. Personally I don't ever use easy config anymore. It's much easier and quicker to modify it by hand. Easy config also doesn't offer the possibility to connect to the database on a different port than 1521 (default). So if you install the database and configure the listener to listen to another port e.g. 1525, you can't use easy config anyway...

HTH, Bastiaan Schaap
Oracle web development
Desyde BV - Baarn
http://www.desyde.nl/