Re: Use password

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/07/10

You may be in deep do-do here, but it is possible to password-protect a role, simply by issuing the command 'Alter role finance identified by secretpassword".

However, I'm almost certain this is not what you want to do. I strongly suggest you read the documentation on users and roles very carefully. The idea behind passwords for roles is that the application has them hard-coded in: you get assurance that the exercise of the privileges associated with the role have been exercised by mean of using the right parts of the application. You get zero reassurance about WHO has exercised the privileges.

Regards