Re: ORACLE : Designer

From: Bastiaan Schaap <bschaap_at_desyde.nl>
Date: 2000/07/10

Hi Steven,

Installing a database and Oracle Designer on the same machine can be quite a pain. I'd suggest you reinstall the database in a different oracle home, and designer in the default oracle home. Aren't these two seperate machines you are talking about? When did Oracle release Designer for linux? Never heard of it.... If you have the option, always put designer on a seperate machine from the database. They can both be very demanding in terms of cpu and memory usage. Frankly, I don't have any experience with other CASE tools than Designer, but I also have to agree that using designer has a steep learning curve. If you guys do a lot of RAD development, you definitely would like to check out the other tools.

HTH, Bastiaan Schaap
Oracle web development
Desyde BV - Baarn
http://www.desyde.nl
tel. +31 35 5411711

Steven Smith <steve.smith_at_shipdesk.com> wrote in message news:3964bee3$1_at_news2lo.highwayone.net...
> I'm new to this ORACLE game so please be gentle, I realise that there may
 be
> a very simple solution. I am currently evaluating modelling tools for
 use
> with our new ORACLE 8i for Linux installation. Hoever, I have been having
> trouble installing the trial software that I have downloaded. The
 problem
> is caused by the ORACLE Home. When I select the existing ORAHOME81 home I
> get an error immediately saying that the file is already in use as an
 Oracle