Re: MS SQL VS ORACLE

From: Breno de Avellar Gomes <brenogomes_at_ieee.org>
Date: 2000/07/06

Three strong arguments are reliability, scalability and portability.

MS-SQL is limited to MS-Windows NT environment, which is relatively stable - just it.
Even Win2k is not very scalable and SMP is limited. Clustering is very restrictive.
Administration requires several steps. Adding a user takes a reasonable time, since it is necessary use more than one utility.

Oracle frees you from OS issue. You can use Linux - Red Hat is partering with Oracle.
Other Unix, such as Compaq True64 and Sun Solaris are strong foundations for datacenters.
Sun is bundling Solaris8 for free for servers up 8 CPU (please confirm it, this info came from Sun at EOUG 2000, Madrid)

In selected OS you can use FailSafe feature to provide high availability.
Oracle Parallel Server has the strongest HA support. Scalability is virtually unlimited.

NT provides acceptable performance, Unix will perform better.

Please check Oracle website to learn more about fail over options. I have the document in PDF format, feel free to ask me.

--
Breno de Avellar Gomes
Database Applications & Internet Developer

Arquivo-Sistemas de Bases de Dados
P. O. Box 5006
EC Municipio
4017-001 Porto
Portugal

brenogomes_at_ieee.org
Cellular phone: 351-917383469
Cellular messages: 917383469_at_sms.telecel.pt
ICQ # 35567342

Toll free fax and answering machine from USA
1-888-EXCITE2  extension  291-303-8152

Outside USA (international fares apply)
1-917-463-3173