Re: how to use full text search in a varchar2 field ?

From: Bastiaan Schaap <bschaap_at_desyde.nl>
Date: 2000/07/06

Hi mr. Pomel,

You could probably use the built-in functionality of Oracle interMedia. This is built in functionality which allows you to index almost every type of column. We've used it to build search functionality into an OAS application (Oracle webserver). It actually parsed Word documents, stored in the database (in a BLOB field..). I did not set this environment up myself, we have excellent DBA's who know all about it. Maybe you could check out http://www.oracle.com/database/documents/o8i_intermedia_fo.pdf

This is a short document describing the functionality of Oracle interMedia. For other documents you can reference:
http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_index.htm

Hope this helps,

Bastiaan Schaap
Oracle Web Development,