Re: The Ancient Question: learn 8 or 8i ?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/07/05

You can go either way, IMO. Basically, everything available in Oracle 8 is available in Oracle 8i. If you learn Oracle 8 first, then you'll just need to find out the new features for 8i and you are ready to go. If you learn 8i first, then you'll want to figure out which new features are not supported in Oracle 8. Either way, you will most likely want to learn both.

> Will someone tell me it's still okay to learn Oracle8 ??

Of course it's okay! DBAs who were around before 8i was introduced learned it this way. After 8i was introduced, they learned the new features. This is the way that I learned the two systems.

> Or is it really that much better to learn Oracle8i?

In the end, you'll probably want to learn 8i.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at