Re: Oracle on Linux, how reliable?

From: Terry Steyaert <steyaert_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/05

We produce a data collection system to be sure different bolts on various cars and trucks are tight when they leave the factory. Our original system was on Interactive Unix with Oracle 6.0. Admittedly, the system had some flaws based upon Interactive Unix, and Oracle has had just a couple of fixes since Oracle 6. The system was barely good for 24 hours before it needed to be rebooted.

We moved the system to RedHat Linux (actually 5.0), and the Try-and-Buy Oracle 8.0.5. Put that in the plant in place of a system that barely lasted the 24 hours, and it has been up for just shy of 6 months. (The shy was because I screwed up and had to reboot the system to restore it.) (Please note, that long before it went into the plant we did purchase the Oracle license.) Now that system does have some Oracle problems. Oracle doesn't support Linux before 5.2, so it will occationally corrupt a database table. We have several systems out with Linux 5.2 and Oracle 8.0, plus 6.0 and 8.1.5, and they are running just great.

I really can't compare to Solaris. About four years ago, we decided we would move from Interactive Unix to Solaris for Intel. Got the Solaris, and "upgraded" one of our licenses from Interactive Systems to Solaris and couldn't get Oracle to load. Through technical support, at my prompting, we finally figured out that the Oracle that we upgraded to was for RISC, not Intel chips! I tried for about 3 months to get Oracle for Solaris for Intel, but never could, so I cannot say how it would work on Solaris.

Terry Steyaert
steyaert_at_my-deja.com

In article <396110B8.2F3E7B88_at_oceanpark.com>,   "Dennis G. Allard" <allard_at_oceanpark.com> wrote:
> Are there any good testimonials as to how well Oracle 8 (or 8i)
 performs
> on Linux, especially as regards reliability compared to Solaris? What
> about performance?
>
> Any opinions or pointers to opinions would be appreciated. I will
 post
> a summary of feedback I obtain if it is of sufficient quantity and
> quality.
>
> regards,
> Dennis
>
> --
> Dennis G. Allard telephone:
 1.310.399.4740
> Ocean Park Software

 http://oceanpark.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jul 05 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT