Re: Sybase to Oracle migration

From: LF <frolio_at_home.com>
Date: 2000/07/04

Greetings Jaco, I recently went through a similar exercise. We were running Microsoft's
SQL Server 7.0 and we wanted to migrate to Oracle 8.1.6. We talked with Oracle
consulting and it appears that the Migration workbench will not transfer your procs 100%,
you will still have to go in and tweak things here and there. Oracle consulting ended up
costing too much money so decided to do the migration myself, I ended up rewriting all the
procs to Oracle procs and packages manually. I used a few of our web programmers
and the whole process took only two weeks or so. With regards to temp tables, Oracle
has an object called "Global Temporary Table" which will work the same way as a temp
table in SQL, the only difference is that the table is permanent and will not go away when
the transaction is complete. I have been using such a table with success.