Re: What is Service Name ??

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/02

In article <8joelo$jb4$1_at_news.vsnl.net.in>,   "Bhargava" <sbhargavarao_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Thanks .. I have already loaded & configured Net8 .. on my machine
 .. ( I
> am an absolute Novice .. )
> Therefore I needed to know the following :
>
> 1. 'Service Name' means ..
> 2. TNS stands for ??
>
> Regards,
>
> Bhargava
> *EOM*
>
> Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > In article <8jmf1r$1p$1_at_news.vsnl.net.in>,
> > "Bhargava" <sbhargavarao_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hi !
> > >
> > > I am a NEW user !! I am trying to setup ODBC to Personal Oracle
 8.0i
 .. its
> > > has one of the parameters as Service Name !!
> > >
> > > What is Service Name ? . Where can I find the Service Name for my
> > > Installation ?
> > >
> > > Bhargava
> > >
> > > sbhargavarao_at_yahoo.com
> > >
> > With versions prior to 8i the Service name in the ODBC entry
> > corresponds to the TNSNAME.ORA entry for the database you want to
> > connect to. Most people name it the same as the Oracle instance id
> > that the entry points to. I would suspect that you have to
 configure
> > Net8 first before you can get an ODBC connection. I have done it
 this
> > way for sqlnet ver 2 to Oracle 7.3 and for Net8 clients to remote
> > instances for both version 7.3 and 8.0.
> > --
> > Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
> > you follow so follow your own advice --

From the Net8 Admin Guide -
"Service Names, also called Database Aliases, are user-defined logical names used to identify and connect to an Oracle database."

In Oracle they are the label which identifies an entry in the tnsnames.ora file. This entry is know as a connect descriptor.

TNS stands for:
Transparent Network Substrate - This is a set of interface routines between Oracle and the transport protocol, TCP, SPX, SNA, etc...

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.