Re: Very Large Databases

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 2000/07/01

In article <EQ6CrCA1R6W5EwsC_at_banjopa.demon.co.uk>,   Phillip Adams <banjopa_at_banjopa.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a couple of what I hope are simple questions. I am currently
> working on the feasibility of migrating several Databases' into 1
 large
> DB. I am also considering using RAW devices instead of formatted
> filesystems (We currently use Digital UNIX 40F).
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is there a limit to the number of datafiles that Oracle can
 address.
> I intend to resize datafiles on the fly instead of adding additional
> datafiles but I still need to know if there are any limitations. I
 have
> checked the init<SID>.ora file and the only likely offender is
 db_files.
> Does this have any effect on the number of datafiles allowed? If so,
 can
> I change this parameter on the fly or will I have to recreate the
> control files?
>
> 2. Is there a limit to the size of individual datafiles. If this
 project
> goes ahead, we are likely to see datafiles as big 30GB - 100GB!
>
> 3. Are there any limitations to the size of raw disk that Oracle can
> address.
>
> 4. Are there any good Oracle web sites that you cyberspace people
> recommend?

> Thanks,
>
> Phil.
>
> --
> Phillip Adams

From the SERVER REFERENCE manual, database limits section:

http://technet.oracle.com/doc/server.804/a58242/ch5.htm#576

o max datafiles / tablespace 1,022.
  max datafiles / database 65533

o max datafile size: O/S dependent, limited by maximum O/S file size; typically 2^22 or 4M blocks. This means 32gig per datafile realistically.

o raw disk is just like a "file" to us. same restrictions apply...

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) Oracle Service Industries
Howtos and such: http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/index.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.