Re: What is Service Name ??

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/01

In article <8jmf1r$1p$1_at_news.vsnl.net.in>,   "Bhargava" <sbhargavarao_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I am a NEW user !! I am trying to setup ODBC to Personal Oracle 8.0i
 .. its
> has one of the parameters as Service Name !!
>
> What is Service Name ? . Where can I find the Service Name for my
> Installation ?
>
> Bhargava
>
> sbhargavarao_at_yahoo.com

With versions prior to 8i the Service name in the ODBC entry corresponds to the TNSNAME.ORA entry for the database you want to connect to. Most people name it the same as the Oracle instance id that the entry points to. I would suspect that you have to configure Net8 first before you can get an ODBC connection. I have done it this way for sqlnet ver 2 to Oracle 7.3 and for Net8 clients to remote instances for both version 7.3 and 8.0.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.