Re: Locks Oracle v SQL7

From: Michael Bialik <michael_bialik_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/30

Hi.

 I will try to make it short ( and a bit less precise ):  Oracle does NOT put any locks during SELECT. LOCKS are used only for  INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statements.
 When some session updates row, the BEFORE-IMAGE of it is written to  ROLLBACK SEGMENT. All SELECTing sessions will get the data from that  ROLLBACK, so nobody will have to wait for end-user to finish his/her  coffe/lunch break and COMMIT the data.
 Check "Oracle Concept" documentation for complete description( you  can get it on OTN technet.oracle.com ).

 HTH. Michael.

In article <gCZ65.5733$uO1.42486_at_news1-hme0>,   "Jack" <No_at_Mail.Please> wrote:
> How does Oracle compare with Sql7 as regards Locking problems.
>
> For instance, does Oracle put locks on Select statements, what Locks
 does it
> put on Update and Insert statements?
>
> Sql7 puts 'read only' Shared locks on all the above statements
 (default
> Isolation mode) but converts the Update and Insert statements (after
> satisfying the Insert and Update conditions) into Exclusive locks in
 order
> to do the actual Insert and Update operations. This 'conversion' often
> causes deadlocks.
>
> How about Oracle does it have 'Lock' problems?
>
> Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jun 30 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT