Very Large Databases

From: Phillip Adams <banjopa_at_banjopa.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/06/29

Hello,

I have a couple of what I hope are simple questions. I am currently working on the feasibility of migrating several Databases' into 1 large DB. I am also considering using RAW devices instead of formatted filesystems (We currently use Digital UNIX 40F).

My questions are:

  1. Is there a limit to the number of datafiles that Oracle can address. I intend to resize datafiles on the fly instead of adding additional datafiles but I still need to know if there are any limitations. I have checked the init<SID>.ora file and the only likely offender is db_files. Does this have any effect on the number of datafiles allowed? If so, can I change this parameter on the fly or will I have to recreate the control files?
  2. Is there a limit to the size of individual datafiles. If this project goes ahead, we are likely to see datafiles as big 30GB - 100GB!
  3. Are there any limitations to the size of raw disk that Oracle can address.
  4. Are there any good Oracle web sites that you cyberspace people recommend?

Thanks,

Phil.

--
Phillip Adams