Re: outer join

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/29

In article <395A6C0C.7602D3BF_at_nospam.spam>,   John James <jjames_at_nospam.spam> wrote:
> Is the outer join standard SQL, or is it unique to Oracle?
>
> -john

I believe that the outer join operation was not part of the prior sql standard, sql-89?, but is part of the sql-92 standard. However, Oracle saw the need for the operation and has had the outer join operation at least since ver 7.0, if not prior to this (approx 1994/5), and has retained their syntax which I find much easier to understand rather than adopt the sql-92 standard. Oracle could adopt the new syntax in the future, but hopefully would support the old syntax for a version or two.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.