Re: Databases, Instances, and confusion

From: <alistair.thomson_at_sphinxcst.co.uk>
Date: 2000/06/27

Your on the right lines. Create some more tablespaces and users, assign users quota on certain tablespaces and they can create their tables and indexes in the assigned tablespaces. You can have multiple applications running from one instance.

Or you could tune the amount of memory the other instance is using so it only takes what it needs and no more.

HTH AT

In article <SQ265.856$Il3.18686_at_vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,   lotus_at_uiuc.edu (Matthew Ivaliotes) wrote:
> We're in the process of planning a migration to Oracle from Sybase.
 I'll
> be taking the DBA-level training soon, but until then I'm 'fiddling'
 with
> Oracle when I can to get a feel for it. I've noticed that when I
 create a
> second database, Oracle starts up a second instance of itself in
 memory.
> This isn't how things worked in the Sybase world. Have I done
 something
> wrong? Each instance of Oracle is chewing up a couple hundred MB of
 RAM.
> Rather than have to have aqn instance going for each DB, do I simply
 need
> to have more tables in each DB?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt I.
> speaking only for myself

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jun 27 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT