Re: Disk Space Prediction

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/06/26

thiko_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have some developers who will soon be ready to want to have many
> tables, indexes, data etc put onto our live database in their
> appropraite tablespace. My querry is as to what the rule is/how you
> work out whether you have enough disk space for this? We are on sun
> disks. I have monitoring in place so I can predicte space when their
> work is in the database and growing but I need to know if in the
> beginning there will be enough disk space before I put it on.
>
> Would appreciate any suggestions...
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Thiko!
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

There are comprehensive calculations in the server manuals about how to work out space requirements - alternatively you could go for a VERY quick roughie like

num of rows *
size of each row (x/2 for number(x), 7 for dates, y for varchar2(y)) * 1.2

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse