Re: OCP DBA

From: <kgec_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/26

In article <8j2c5d$mr9$1_at_mirv.comms.unsw.edu.au>,   "John" <z2247504_at_student.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am going to take the OCP test for oracle8 DBA and just wonder if
> anyone can recommend some good reference book for that.

I can only comment on the 7.3 OCP program that I took, but I don't think it's changed that much. I found Jason Couchman's __Oracle Certified Professional DBA Certification Exam Guide__ adequate for my needs, although not everyone does. (See reviews on http://www.amazon.com). In particular, people with little or no Oracle experience seem to have problems with it.

You should also have someplace you can put your hands on the Oracle documentation, or at least view it online.

> Also, I am not sure which test to start with. Certainly, I would
> like to begin with the easiest and got no idea the relative
> difficulty among the tests. Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

I found the SQL/PL-SQL test to be the easiest, probably because I had spent a lot of time grinding out SQL code to convert our legacy system to Oracle. I found the Performance Tuning test to be the most difficult, probably because I had nothing to do with configuring or tuning our database at the time it was installed. The Backup and Recovery exam was fairly easy in 7.3, although it's changed some in Oracle 8. I found the Database Administration test difficult, partly because a lot of the Oracle functionality (especially with security, passwords, etc.) is hidden in our ERP system. The Networking test wasn't in Oracle 7.3, so I can't comment there.

Good luck.

Tommy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jun 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT