Re: Disk Space Prediction

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/06/25

        For each table you need to know the maximum number of rows that are to be stored in the database along with an estimate of average row size. Then build a table and let Oracle do the arithmetic for you. BTW, don't forget to estimate the space for the indexes.

        Finding out the maximum sizes is your real problem. You have to find out what the relationships are between number of rows added to a table and the underlying business transaction. For example, for each sale one row is added to the invoice header table and an average of five rows are added to the invoice detail table. Another example, one row is added every month to the General Ledger table for each distinct account in the table. This is information the developers should be able to tell you.