Re: Update primary key

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 2000/06/25

In article <39535DAA.A637BFEC_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>,   Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote:
> Hakan is correct and I'd like to just add one more point. If the table
> is partitioned on the primary key, then you can update the primary key
> so long as the update does not force the row to move to a new
 partition.

of if you enable row movement in Oracle8i release 8.1 which allows you to update a partition key to a value that causes it to move...

> HTH,
> Brian
>
> Hakan Eren wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Simply it is not true. You can update the primary key as long as
 the new
> > key is unique.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Hakan
> >
> > Kevin wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm a newbie in Oracle. I would like to ask if a primary key
 of a table
> > > can be updated because someone told me it's illegal to update any
 primary
> > > keys.
> > > Any post / FAQ response are welcome.
> > > Thanx
>
> --
> Brian Peasland
> Raytheons Systems at
> USGS EROS Data Center
> These opinions are my own and do not
> necessarily reflect the opinions of my
> company!

Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) Oracle Service Industries
Howtos and such: http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/index.html
Oracle Magazine: http://www.oracle.com/oramag

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.