Personal Oracle 8i, 8.1.6 - ORA-12560 TNS:protocol adapter error

From: <charleshahn_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/24

 As a raw beginner with Oracle this is very frustrating. I've reinstalled Personal 8i (8.1.6) several times, trying to not install Net8 at all (it gets installed anyway), then telling it I'll configure net connections later but not configuring any -- hoping to have only my local machine available -- but no matter what I do when I click on SQLPlus and start it up, I get the
ORA-12560 TNS:protocol adapter error
that prevents me from logging onto and working with my local database under SQLPlus.

I searched for that error here in Deja, and found several references, but not really an answer (that I understand, anyway).

Anyone got time to help me, and it looks like others, deal with this?

Thanks,
Charlie Hahn

--
When confused, or in doubt,