Re: DATA SAMPLED ON TIME

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/06/22

        You would be better off with two tables. One for the Coil and one for the measurements.

        It will take more space, but it won't self-destruct if they change the process and start
creating longer colls.

        Is it really necessary to keep all of the data in an active database for a full year?

        Depending on what sort of response time is required when it is necessary to retrieve information for a coil you should be considering alternatives such as writing older data to a CD-ROM jukebox and storing the CD-ROM volume id and address in the Oracle database. Then whenever someone needed older data you could write a program that will retrieve the desired information and load it into the database.

On 6/21/00, 4:53:54 PM, "maurizio" <mrzgnv_at_tin.it> wrote regarding DATA

SAMPLED ON TIME:
> Hello,
> my name is Maurizio and i have a problem.

> I must to store in Oracle 8i DB on WNT a lot of data acquired by a
 Data
> Acquisition System (DAS) for a coil galvanization line plant.

> I must to store all data acquired for one year.

> The plant process 24 h/day about 4 coils per heure with maximum length

of
> 8000 meters.

> After the coil is processed the DAS send to me the data acquired (250
> measured for each meter of coil coming form 250 different sensors).

> In order to save that information into DB i created a table and i used

> VARRAY dimensioned to 8000 elements:

> create type SAMPLE DATA as varray(8000) of number(5)

> create table COIL OUT DATA (
> COIL ID number(4) not null [ 1 year of

> coils]
> MEASURE ID number(4) not null [1..250]
> DATA SAMPLE DATA [8000 elements]

> primary key (COILD ID, MEASURE ID)
> );

> In this way for each coil i have 250 very big records (for each coil
 about
> 250*(8002)*4 Byte = 8MB)

> In one year i will have 365day*24heures*4coilperheure*8 MB = 280 GB

of