Re: Lawson Software questions.

From: Greg Kainz <gregkainz_at_home.com>
Date: 2000/06/22

A friend is a DBA for a large Lawson implementation. He replies with the following:
"There is simply no comparison between SAP and Lawson. SAP requires much more technical savvy specifically on their proprietary software and tools. Lawson is written mostly in MicroFocus Cobol. Any general developer can work on it. As for implementation, SAP DEMANDS you do a BPR and have you bring your business processes in line with their software. Or else it just will never work! There are no books or third party documentation available for Lawson. Lawson's documentation is generally out of date. As for costs, a minimal SAP implementation is > $5 Mil. A minimal Lawson implementation is half of SAP's. I disagree with Nat when he says to allow for $250k for consulting. Lawson consulting will be > $1 mil., at least 40% of the total project budget."

Nat Kidder <kidder.nat_at_orbcomm.com> wrote in message news:skvl2njme7f137_at_corp.supernews.com...

> Mark B. wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone who has worked with Lawson Software
> > products could provide me with the answers to a some questions.
> >
> > First, what is the workload and experience required to install and
> > maintain a Lawson Financials and HR installation for a 500 person site?
> > Could it be done by a Sr. Unix Sysadmin and Sr. Oracle DBA? What's the
> > timeframe like?
> >
> > Second, does anyone have any links to on-line resources or books dealing
> > with Lawson Software. I've been looking for two days, and can't find a
> > thing.
> >
> > Finally, if it came down to Lawson Software vs. SAP for financials and
 HR,