Re: Newcomer Questions

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/06/21

Answers embedded
<phippskj_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8iqqjv$d8r$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi,
>
> 1. Are there any other newsgroups than .misc, .server?
.tools
The distinction IMO is
.server for the database server
(and everything coming on the server CD, so including the server utilities imp/exp and sql*loader)
.tools for Developer and Designer
.misc for all products not in one of these categories However, most people post their questions separately to all three of them, because they can't decide in which group to post. If you really don't know a crosspost is preferred, as most newsreaders are capable dealing with crossposts

> 2. Are there any websites that are helpful (other than Oracle's)?
Numerous
To mention a few

http://www.revealnet.com
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
http://www.ixora.com.au
http://www.ipas.net/~davesisk/oont

> 3. Using Oracle 8.0, I want to subtract one day from a datetime column
> using SQL in a datawindow and believe my solution is too complex and is
> most likely accomplished by a function or combination of functions. Any
> suggestions or points of reference?

The unit of a date is a day. You can perform normal arithmetic on dates as long as it not exceeds a month.
So
date_column - 1
will result in the previous day.
For months use add_months(<date_column>, increment) The increment can be negative.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA