Re: Database Connection Filtering

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/06/21

You didn't explain why you want this setup. In some respects, SQL*Plus is doing the things that you are asking for. But if it is not meeting your needs, then you'll want to develop some middle tier (perhaps a Java Servlet) that will satisfy your requirements.

HTH,
Brian

foobar_at_foo.bar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have database clients talk to the database
> through a "ghost" database like this:
> |---------| |----------|
> -----------|Ghost |-----------|Oracle 8i |
> Outside |database | Internal | |
> Network | | Network | |
> -----------| |-----------| |
> |---------| |----------|
>
> The ghost would do things like examine the connection request
> and ensure that the name in the connect string is bound
> (somehow) to the source of the request. If everything is ok
> it would forward the connection request to the actual database
> and then just act as a proxy for the remainder of the connection.
>
> Is something like this possible given the multitude of
> driver setups?
>
> I would like to think that all interactions with the database
> boil down to sql statements in ascii (or some public encoding
> scheme) coming across one of the listener ports.
> Is this a correct guess, or are things more complicated than that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> BT
>
> * Send missives to btandy a t math.utexas , which is, of course,
> * an educational institution, so don't forget that last part.

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center
These opinions are my own and do not