Re: Help with dificult migration problem

From: Michael Bialik <michael_bialik_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/21

Hi.
 here is a very short checklist to consider:

  1. How many people are going to develop the project? NT is more crash prone that Unix, so your environment is less stable.
  2. Are you going to need new features of 8i ( vs 734 ):
    • partitions
    • index based indexes etc. You may be able to postpone implementing these on 734, but they may make your development effort much easier.
  3. Do you have good NT admin ( backup/restore etc.)? I suppose that everithing is already set on Unix.
  4. Do you have 3-Gl language code ( Pro*C/Cobol )? In that case you may expect problems developing on NT and moving the code later to Unix. If it's straight VB/Developer/PLSQL project - I do it all the time (develope some code on NT and deploy it on Unix).

 HTH. Michael.

In article <sktkft1ee7f10_at_corp.supernews.com>,   "Don Hunter" <News_at_HunterX.com> wrote:
> I have an application that requires the storage of images within the
> database. From what little I know I believe I am best using 8.1.6 as
 opposed
> to 7.3.4. Unfortunately I will not have 8.1.6 available, on UNIX,
 until
> later this year.
> I have the option of developing it on an NT platform now in 8.1.6 then
> migrating it to the UNIX platform (my company's approved standard)
 later
> this year, or developing in 7.3.4, on UNIX, now and migrating to
 8.1.6 later
> this year.
>
> What I need is some sort of pro's and con's list, or some
 documentation that
> will help me determine what is the best approach.
>
> Could someone please point me at any documentation that will assist
 me.

> TIA
> T.D.Hunter

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jun 21 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT