character set conversion

From: Ulrich Knecht <knecht_at_thales.de>
Date: 2000/06/20

Hello,
  I have a question concerning character set conversion: Our customer uses an oracle 8.0.5 Database (on Linux) using USASCII7 character set. He wants to migrate to oracle 8i (also on Linux) using iso character set (WE8ISO8859P1). The original data contains german umlauts ( , , ,   )
which are being displayed correctly although they are not contained in 7 bit ASCII (Don't ask me why, but it works).

  How can I migrate the data in a way that what is, e.g. an " " (a-umlaut) in the old data base still appears as an " " in the new one?

  I made the following attempts, all of which didn't have the required result:

    NLS LANG=GERMAN GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1

I'd be very thankfull if anyone could help me solve this problem.

        Ulrich Received on Tue Jun 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT