Re: Advice for newbie getting into DBA admin.

From: Rich Mycroft <rich.mycroft_at_synchrologic.com>
Date: 2000/06/20

Bought 8i for Linux (Macmillan I believe) for $99. So not an arrestable offense. Personally seeing NT topping out and Linux picking up in terms of users and the NOS numbers seem to reflect that as well. But then I'm a Linux convert and want as little to do with NT as possible, this after having dealt with it since v 3.1

Rich Mycroft

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:394f4a9d_at_news.iprimus.com.au...

> <dknite_at_mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have recently decided that I want to become an oracle dba.
> > I have been in accounting for most of my career and want to make the
 switch
> > to the tech side. I have worked briefly at by old job doing some system
> > admin. I think that our system was using Oracle 7.03 in top of a unix
 box.

> > I want to do some study at home to see if I really like this or not.
 Can
> > anyone suggest which version of oracle to start on Oracle8 or Oracle 8i
 and
> > what version of unix I should use. I know that there are about 6
 flavors
 of
> > unix out there. I want to set up my own database at home and try and
 learn
> > from there before I spend thousands of smackers going to oracle class.
>

> I'd suggest 8i, but frankly I think you might be better off with 8i
 Release
> 2 (better known as 8.1.6). As you describe your situation, I think it
> possibly short-sighted to begin by learning a version of the product that
 is
> already one behind the eight ball. Forget 8 completely.
>
> As for UNix, well... it's up to you. I have to tell you that a year ago,
> about 75 to 80 per cent of my classes would be Unix users of one variety
 or
> another. These days, the percentages are far more nearly 50:50 Unix/NT.
> And NT is a doddle to set up at home. Horses for courses, though, and if
> you are already comfortable with Unix, fair enough. There are lots of
 Linux