Archive log questions

From: <argosy22_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/16

Hi all,

I've researched this a lot, but I just want to confirm some things.

We run our databases in archive mode. I have an script to do a hot backup. I backup the tablespaces, control files, .ora files, and then log files.

Questions:

To recover to the point in time that I did the backup, I won't need any of the archive log files older than the backup time, will I?

However, if tommorrow, I want to recover the database to tommorrow's current time, I will need all the archive log files created since backup time, correct? In which case, I shouldn't need any archive logs previous to the backup, correct?

I copy files to another drive, and then back them up to tape.

We run on Unix. In the script, I use:

sqlplus ..... << THE_END

@backupscript

THE_END

Yes, I should know all this. But, I keep getting more and more work to do, which keeps spreading me thin.

Thanks,

Argosy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jun 16 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT