Re: Defragmentation

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_doial.pipex.com>
Date: 2000/06/13

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:39449619$1_at_news.iprimus.com.au...

> ""marco pinzuti"" <mpinzuti_at_virgilio.it> wrote in message
> If you have at least Oracle 8, you can set MINIMUM EXTENT for a
> tablespace -nothing you specify at segment level can override it, and
 hence
> you are at least assured of a few standard extent sizes within the
> tablespace, rather than a whole bunch of completely random sizes.

IIRC (and I can't be bothered to go to the docs because we just run with std extent sizes).doesn't MINIMUM EXTENT just specify the min value for INITIAL & NEXT and so will cause random sizes above a certain value. IMO you should not be specifiying storage at the segment level but at the tablespace level (with INITIAL=NEXT and PCTINCREASE 0).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA