Re: OCP DBA

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: 2000/06/13

I studied for the OCP DBA exam. One thing that really helped was that I downloaded a copy of Oracle from Technet and installed it on a PC at home. This way, I could play with all sorts of ideas without hurting anything.

I never found any one source of info that was helpful. I make extensive use of both the Couchman and Ault Exam books. I also used other books that I noted in this thread before.

The biggest hint I can give anyone is this: "Learn HOW things work". If you spend your time figuring out how something works (and why it works that way), then you can always figure out the answer.

HTH,
Brian

Sunny wrote:

> Hi brian
>
> so you studied for your OCP at home and got it done, thats good
> can you give me some advise, i might say, about, I wanna get OCP Application
> developer or may be DBA, can you tell me how you studied for your exam and
> how you practise for that and any other info i might use, I would really
> appreicate it, thanks
>
> sunny
>
> Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote in message
> > I have never seen the FastTracks, so I can't offer any opinions on them.
> >
> > As far as the OCP exams go, I passed them with self-study methods. I
> > used the Exam books by Couchman and Ault. I also used various Oracle
> > Press books and Oracle documentation. I can't say wether or not you'll
> > be able to pass the exams. It all depends on how well you study and
> > learn the material and how much experience you can bring to the process.
> >
> > Good Luck!
> > Brian
> >

> > ninksink wrote:
> > >
> > > Brian Peasland wrote in message

 <393CF68A.8DC044C3_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>...
> [...]
 Oracle
 Couchman,

> > > Brian, do you think the Oracle University eLearning FastTracks for
> > > Database Administrators is worth the $9300-$12000 and time, or will I be
> > > able to pass the 5 exams via the self-taught method. I have one year
> > > experience in Oracle 7.x. I created databases, tablespaces, tables,
> > > indexes, views, triggers, etc. I really enjoyed using the data
 dictionary
> > > extensively. I even used the now defunct PowerObjects rather
 successfully.
> > > I used Oracle Developer 2000 and Oracle Designer (I think that is what
 it
> > > was called). Unfortunately I have been away from Oracle for about 2
 years
> > > working on an antiquated system that was "supposed" to migrate to
 Oracle. I