Re: Autoincrement in Oracle

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 2000/06/12

You'll need to use a sequence for this purpose. A sequence is not bound to a column however. It also does not reindex. If you delete something you will have a 'hole'.
A description for this is not in a faq but in the f... manual, Oracle SQL reference. If you don't have it, *all* manuals are online at http://technet.oracle.com

Of course taking the max(id) would be a perfectly valid solution.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA