Re: Hey! Wanna crash your data system?

From: Geoffrey Bray <gbray1_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/12

In article <O1FyL1o0$GA.233_at_cppssbbsa02.microsoft.com>,   "Egbert Nierop" <e.nierop_at_nospam.net> wrote: <snip>
> really? funny that MS Access get's the higest tpc in the world right
 now? see www.tpc.org

<snip>

I hate to start a flame war ... but you need to check your facts. First, it is MS SQL Server and NOT Access. Secondly you have to take the TPC numbers with a grain of salt. The test you are referring to was done with a database split across 12 servers with 96 CPUs running Windows 2000. Any ideas what 12 servers running Windows 2000 does to the idea of availability? You couldn't pay me enough money to try to support something like that in a high availability environment. I wouldn't even be so thrilled to support that in a lab environment if it was being hit very heavily.

So, what does the number really mean? IMHO it means that SQL Server can do a decent number of transactions. It's still not necessarily the "fastest" unless you want to do something pretty extreme like the setup of the TPC test.

Geoffrey Bray

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Jun 12 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT