Re: OCP DBA

From: Sunny <sunnyb_at_vendtek.bc.ca>
Date: 2000/06/12

Hi brian

so you studied for your OCP at home and got it done, thats good can you give me some advise, i might say, about, I wanna get OCP Application developer or may be DBA, can you tell me how you studied for your exam and how you practise for that and any other info i might use, I would really appreicate it, thanks

sunny

Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov> wrote in message news:393FB9D6.5E488F1C_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov...
> I have never seen the FastTracks, so I can't offer any opinions on them.
>
> As far as the OCP exams go, I passed them with self-study methods. I
> used the Exam books by Couchman and Ault. I also used various Oracle
> Press books and Oracle documentation. I can't say wether or not you'll
> be able to pass the exams. It all depends on how well you study and
> learn the material and how much experience you can bring to the process.
>
> Good Luck!
> Brian
>

> ninksink wrote:
> >
> > Brian Peasland wrote in message

 <393CF68A.8DC044C3_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>...
> > >There are five exams. If you want to use just one book, check out
 Oracle
> > >8 Certified Professional DBA Certification Exam Guide by Jason
 Couchman,
> > >Oracle Press, ISBN: 0-07-212087-8. It's the one stop shop for OCP
 exams.
> > >When I studied for the OCP exams, I used more than just this one book.
> > >You might want to check out other Oracle Press books that are more
> > >applicable to the specific exam. You can also use the Oracle
> > >documentation.
> > >
> > >HTH,
> > >Brian
> >
> > Brian, do you think the Oracle University eLearning FastTracks for
> > Database Administrators is worth the $9300-$12000 and time, or will I be
> > able to pass the 5 exams via the self-taught method. I have one year
> > experience in Oracle 7.x. I created databases, tablespaces, tables,
> > indexes, views, triggers, etc. I really enjoyed using the data
 dictionary
> > extensively. I even used the now defunct PowerObjects rather
 successfully.
> > I used Oracle Developer 2000 and Oracle Designer (I think that is what
 it
> > was called). Unfortunately I have been away from Oracle for about 2
 years
> > working on an antiquated system that was "supposed" to migrate to
 Oracle. I