Re: Queries don'twork any more - urgent!

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/06/09

It's written to wherever your background_dump_dest parameter is pointing. So find your init.ora for the relevant instance, and find where that is.

And no, I won't be able to help you in finding your init(SID).ora. By default (and off the top of my head) it's in the ORCLE_HOME/dbs directory somewhere.

And why the hell aren't you reading your alert log every day? Any good DBA would be doing so as a matter of routine.

How do you know if your log files are big enough (check the alert log for log switch information). How do you know if there's been corruption in a file (check the laert log for ORA-600 errors). And on and on. Really: besides knowing how to log on to your netowork in the first place, the location of your alert log should be second nature.

You do realise that unless you keep clearing it out (ie, deleting the old one) it will keep growing and growing?

I should talk. Oracle (NSW) just cleared out a 300Mb alert log dating back to 1997!