Re: Great SQL editor??

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: 2000/06/09

Although TOAD is usually mentioned in these threads, I have never been tempted to switch from a modern editor such as UltraEdit to such a tool.

I think I finally realized why:

(1) Tools such as TOAD provide a client server environment that lets you view the state of the database. I am sure the developers of these features consider this a plus, but they are actually liabilities. With the ability of the plsql cartridge to print to a web server, the script writer is once more in charge. You can build a more customizable and aesthetically pleasing interface using the plsql cartridge, style sheets and a browser than you can get in these client-server tools. And it can be done in short order if you understand the database. So most of the database "features" in TOAD are unnecessary. They get in the way.

(2) Some of the features of an editor that I have grown dependent upon, using tools such as UltraEdit, are the following:

    (a) The editor should display more than one file at a time.     (b) It should allow editing to be done in hex so that binary files (such as exports) can be modified.

    (c) It should allow for templates to be stored and reused.     (d) It should allow for >user customized menus< for the ad hoc needs one might have, such as, copy the file elsewhere, compile the source code and send a response to a new window, check the file in or out of a version control system, receive automatic delivery of a tkprof output, etc.

    (e) It should allow for customized color coding of words that the user configures not the developers.

    The above is just a short list, but they are the reasons I keep going back to editors like UltraEdit even when I am ready to give another tool a try. Maybe TOAD and other tools like it have these editor features and I am just missing them: can't see them for the other glitz. The point is that, at least in my case, I don't need the glitz and I am hooked on the other editing/customization features.

    Frank Hubeny