Help with INSERT statement

From: Ramesh Daryani <rdaryani_at_aurigacorp.com>
Date: 2000/06/08

Hi all,

I have Oracle8i Release 8.1.5 running under Windows 98.

I have a large CSV file with 87 columns that I want to import into oracle. I failed. So, I started using INSERT command, in SQL, with fewer and fewer columns. Finally I was succefull. The INSERT statement accepts column names only up to 231 charachters.
How can I increase the size to accomodate 87 columns names?

For the referece enclosed are the two commands. One without error and other with error 'ORA-00917: missing comma'

Can someone help please?

Thanks in advance.

Ramesh Daryani
rdaryani_at_aurigacorp.com

Insert into outlook_db1
(Title,FirstName,MiddleName,LastName,Suffix,Company,Department,JobTitle,Busi
nessStreet,BusinessStreet2,BusinessStreet3,BusinessCity,BusinessState,Busine ssPostalCode,BusinessCountry,HomeStreet,HomeStreet2,HomeStreet3,HomeCity)

Values
(‘’,’Gopal’,’’,’Kadagather’,’’,’Advanced Engineering Associates
International Inc.’,’’,’President’,’44 Pleasent Street Suite 230’,’’ ,’’,’ Watertown’,’Massachusets’,’2172’,’’,’’,’’,’’,’’);

Message in SQL is
1 row created.

Insert into outlook_db1
(Title,FirstName,MiddleName,LastName,Suffix,Company,Department,JobTitle,Busi
nessStreet,BusinessStreet2,BusinessStreet3,BusinessCity,BusinessState,Busine ssPostalCode,BusinessCountry,HomeStreet,HomeStreet2,HomeStreet3,HomeCity,Hom eState,HomePostalCode,HomeCountry,OtherStreet,OtherStreet2,OtherStreet3,Othe rCity,OtherState,OtherPostalCode,OtherCountry,AssistantsPhone,BusinessFax,Bu sinessPhone,BusinessPhone2,Callback,CarPhone,CompanyMainPhone,HomeFax,HomePh one,HomePhone2,ISDN,MobilePhone,OtherFax,OtherPhone,Pager,PrimaryPhone,Radio Phone,TTYTDDPhone,Telex,Account,Anniversary,AssistantsName,BillingInformatio
n,Birthday,Categories,Children,DirectoryServer,EmailAddress,EmailDisplayName
,Email2Address,Email2DisplayName,Email3Address,Email3DisplayName,Gender,Gove
rnmentIDNumber,Hobby,Initials,InternetFreeBusy,Keywords,Language,Location,Ma
nagersName,Mileage,Notes,OfficeLocation,OrganizationalIDNumber,POBox,Priorit y,Private,Profession,ReferredBy,Sensitivity,Spouse,User1,User2,User3,User4,W ebPage)

Values
(,’Gopal’,,’Kadagather’,,’Advanced Engineering Associates International Inc.

’,,’President’,’44 Pleasent Street Suite 230’, ,,’Watertown’,’Massachusets’,
0/0/00’,,,’0/0/00’,,,,’aeaiinc_at_aol.com,aeaiinc_at_aol.com’,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,’
Low’,’TRUE’,,,’Private’,,,,,,);

Error message is

ERROR at line 2:
ORA-00917: missing comma