converting from LONG type?

From: <chad_at_pengar.com>
Date: 2000/06/08

Hi. I have been asked to work with some data in an Oracle database. For some lame reason the data of interest is in a LONG datatyped column but all the data is short strings that could fit in a VARCHAR2. I need to be able to use this in a WHERE clause and all sorts of other things that you cannot do on a LONG. Is it possible to create a view or copy into another table and convert the data from the LONG to a VARCHAR2?

Thanks
Chad

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Jun 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT