Creating CGI Interface to Oracle database

From: Kurt Cypher <kurt.cypher_at_wright.edu>
Date: 2000/06/08

We currently have an Oracle server set up on our network, and I've been tasked with figuring out how to set up some web pages on our web server to access our Oracle database. We have recently been doing some projects where we had MySQL running on our web server, and used Perl CGI scripts to access those databases, but since we have an Oracle server running, it's been decided that we ought to make use of that and start modifying our Perl CGI to access Oracle.

The Perl part we think will not be a problem, but our main question is: is there an Oracle client application that we need to run on our web server, in order to get our scripts to talk to our Oracle server, or can the Perl DBI & DBD talk directly to the Oracle database on the other machine?

Thanks,
Kurt

--
Kurt Cypher, UNIX Systems programmer
Wright State University, CaTS           Voice : 937-775-3660