FreeBSD, PHP and Client Libraries

From: Rob Miracle <rmiracle_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 2000/06/08

We are currently a FreeBSD shop and are using MySQL. We have outgrown MySQL and are looking towards an enterprise database solution. We are looking at Oracle, but seem to be getting no where on the FreeBSD connectivity issue.

What we simply need is a client library that will let my C-Based applications on FreeBSD link to library routines that will open the database, drop in a query, pick up the results and return the data to the calling client, basically a substitute for the mysqlclient.a library. If we have something like that, I just have to change a low level library routine and then we recompile.

Likewise, if we want to use PHP4 under Apache on FreeBSD, I need a library to build the PHP4 module against when compiling.

We know that Yahoo is a FreeBSD + Oracle shop. We also know that several other major internet sites use FreeBSD.

So how do they do it? How do I get from FreeBSD to Oracle? Surely there is a solution.

Please email responses to:

rmiracle_at_bellsouth.net

Thanks in advance.
Rob Received on Thu Jun 08 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT