Re: Oracle Basic

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: 2000/06/08

        Comments inline

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 6/7/00, 5:11:11 PM, "christy" <kisstene_at_hotmail.com> wrote regarding

Oracle Basic:

> Hi I'm a rookie, so please forgive me for my ignorance, and help me
 gap the
> path. i have some basic questions

> 1. When migrating data from one medium (sql server) to Oracle, is it

best
> to use sql loader, or are there any other 3 party softwares that is
 commonly
> used?

        There are 3rd party tools, but if this is a one time conversion use SQL Loader. It is fast and it is free.

> 2. On oracle fresh installs for a production environment, would it be

fine
> to accept the default configuration, or are there any special
 configuration
> changes i should be aware of?

        NO, NO, NO! The default values will get you a minimum database with minimal performance. Increase the number of blocks read/written at a time. Increase the size of the SGA to around 33% of RAM for starters.  If this forces OS paging reduce to 25%. IF it doesn't increase to 50% Increase the size of the REDO logs, I feel that 5MB each is a minimum and that if you are running heavy batch updates 25MB each is better. If you are running on NT get a set of scripts to create a database and increase the number of datafiles from the default (I think it's 29 files) to something useful - i.e. As many files as Oracle will support for your OS.

> 3. how about on an upgrade?? anything i should be aware of?

        Yes, RTFM. Oracle's release notes and installation docs will tell you how to upgrade. Read them and follow them to the letter. Do not deviate. Of course be sure to backup the system before you upgrade - just in case.

> 4. when upgrading Oracle - is it best to export/import data, or
 should i be
> using another method?? any 3 party softwares i should be aware of?

        Export and import work. In some cases Oracle also has migration utilities that can be used as an alternative. Again read the docs.

> 5. Please give me some insight on some of these basic concepts:
> imaging, meta data repositories, sql back track control.

        I pass.