SQL question

From: Sean <dolans_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/07

I have two tables: a lookup and a value table. Let me describe them below:

USER_LU

  USER_LU_ID (PK)

  DISPLAY USER_LU_VALUE

  USER_LU_ID (PK)
  USERNAME (PK)

  VALUE Some values that would be in the USER_LU table:
{1, NAME}
{2, ADDRESS}
{3, CITY}
Some values in the USER_LU_VALUE table :
{1, 'foobarUsername', 'Sean'}
{1, 'usernameTwo', 'Mike'}

What I am trying to do is get a list of ALL the lookups with a value for a certain username, but throw a NULL if not there as in:
{ex: given a username of foobarUsername:}
NAME Sean
ADDRESS NULL
CITY NULL ALL I Keep getting is
NAME Sean

I have tried outer joins (+) and get :
NAME Sean
NAME Mike
ADDRESS null
CITY null

but the problem comes in when I specify
USERNAME = '{something}' It all goofs up.

Any ideas of accomplishing this?
Thanks,
Sean

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Jun 07 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT