Re: verify existing oracle password before changing

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 2000/06/06

There is a bit of a hole in that one, though, as you could set a profile that restricts password re-use -e.g. mustn't use the same password within 6 months, mustn't use the same password again unless it has changed 5 times in the interim.

An idea I am working with is to use a BEFORE DDL database trigger that fires on an ALTER and acquires the value dbms_standard.des_encrypted_password, then mucks about when this is not null to avoid the alter user.

The trouble at present is the des_encrypted_password doesn't seem to have much to do with what Oracle stores as the password - back to the drawing board.

--

Jonathan Lewis